Monday, November 9, 2009

"East of the Sun and West of the Moon"

A bit of a rant-- how can these sappy authors whose books get published riddled with grammatical errors and sloppy sentences and so much more wrong get an agent and I can't?
Case in point--
"Ice" is a modern retelling of "East of the Sun and West of the Moon."
See: http://www.sarahbethdurst.com/ice.htm
 I read the excerpt. It's boring. My little brother writes better than that, sadly.

(Warning, I am a book snob-- I like good books. "Twilight" was fun, but not good. "East" was good. "Ice" is like the stuff I wrote in 8th grade. Make that 7th...)

Ice is direct  copy of "East" by Edith Pattou-- except, you know, "East" is well written...
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/edith-pattou/east.htm

This is also a rather personal one, because Beauty and the Beast is my story, and "East" is the Grimm that BatB came from! 
Really y'all? Epic fail... 

1 comment:

  1. I think it's because we've become a culture where it's excepted as a norm to not try our best and to do everything we can to be successful. Plus, we don't put the greatest amount of emphasis on education as we should, so people often don't know that it's riddled with a trashy grammatical knowledge and isn't very good. The "classic" writers (i.e. Twain, Dickens, etc.) wrote not just for content, but wrote for quality.

    And yeah, this is personal for me too. It's so hard to get my poetry, which is about as classical as an art form as you can get, sold because of poorly written teenage make-believe like Twilight. *rant over* lol

    ReplyDelete